Pages

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Day 21 of 30 day challenge

I’ve been posting abstracts painted with the knife for the last few days. I find that this is a nice change from my usual landscape scenes and it has been another great learning experience. And certainly painting an abstract is more than just throwing some paint on the canvas and hoping something acceptable will miraculously appear. No, not at all! One must consider the composition of the painting – is the basic design going to be diagonal, horizontal or vertical. Do I want a cross motif, an X design, or a Z shape to lead the eye to where I want to lead it. Then I need to consider harmony, contrasts, balance (horizontal and vertical), dynamics, dominance, repetition, focus, and active and passive areas. If I have implemented some of these criteria, then I might have an acceptable abstract painting!

8" x 8" acrylic on loose canvas
$80

No comments:

Post a Comment